Friday, June 8, 2012

I Guess I Don't Believe in Love at First Sight

I am a child of the 90's, therefore I grew up watching the Disney Classics, such as The Little Mermaid and Aladdin. But as I've grown older I realized that there was definitely something wrong in their stories (mind you I'm aware of the many things that are wrong, but I'm going to focus on one). 
 
Do you remember in Aladdin when he saw Princess Jasmine for the first time in the marketplace? He stared at her all bug-eyed and swore he already loved her? Or Ariel when she stared at Eric on the boat?

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/VuWa2XX7p2g/0.jpg       http://www.makesmesmile.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/eric-flute.gif

Both of them swore they had love at first sight.

I guess I don't believe in love at first sight because I think that that feeling is confused by attraction. I mean let's be honest Jasmine is gorgeous, but he truly loved her after they spent time together on the magic carpet ride. I believe it is the bond that we form with others at random occasions that truly make us know if we love someone.

http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Aladdin---Jasmin-aladdin-613149_1181_815.jpg
Now "Love" is a strong word and in current times, it's definitely overused (and I am one of those offenders), but I feel it definitely has different uses. For example: The love you have for your family is probably not the same you have for your significant other or your best friends. But each of them has found a way to make you love them. 

I love my family because they've shown me support for everything I do, right or wrong. They've shown me care and given me more love than I ever could have dreamed. My best friends, because for some reason I've always became friends with them in the most random of forms, maybe just talking at dinner, or one of us scaring the other so bad they ran down the hallway. As for a guy, it wasn't whether or not they were attractive, it was the overall happiness they brought me when I had them in my life.

But all of those things were not "Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy, I LOVE YOU", these were "Hey, you took the time to get to know me, and now I love you"


No comments:

Post a Comment